I love summer. Give me a choice between hot and cold weather and I’ll take hot any day. But there reaches a point in Brisbane, usually in March (or sometimes if we’re unlucky, April) where we experience a burst of such unseasonably hot weather that I hit the wall. It’s autumn! Didn’t someone get the memo that 36 degrees in autumn is just not on?
This was me yesterday. It was one of those incredibly humid days, where being in air-conditioning is your only comfortable option. Needless to say, I was not in the mood for cooking dinner. I didn’t even have the energy to poach a chicken, so a BBQ chicken it was. (Have you seen how Coles now stocks free-range BBQ chickens?) I threw together this chicken Waldorf salad in less than 20 minutes. Better still, all the kids ate most of the elements and my fussiest eater even gave the walnuts a nibble. Winning!
- ½ cup walnuts
- 200g grapes
- 2 baby cos lettuce, halved
- 2 celery stalks, sliced thinly
- 2 red apples, thinly sliced (see tip)
- 1 BBQ chicken, shredded
- 1 small red onion, finely sliced
- juice of 1 lemon
- ½ cup natural yoghurt
- ½ cup whole egg mayonnaise
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 180C. Spread walnuts on a tray and bake for 5-7 minutes, until golden. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, prepare remaining salad ingredients and arrange on a large platter.
- For dressing, whisk all ingredients in a bowl. Season to taste.
I like pink lady or red gala apples.